When starting a new relationship, nothing quite beats the anticipation and thrill of that first date.
Research from Science Direct (2006), conducted with 142 females and 63 males, found that when guys initiated a conversation with cheesy chat-up lines they were generally not well received. Whereas those revealing traits such as helpfulness, generosity and culture were more engaging and thus performed better.
You might be nervous for your first date, and that is completely fine. Feel free to even break the ice with that to your date, as they might be feeling the exact same way.
To help you along the way though here are 14 GIFs to support you on your first date as pictures paint a 1000 words.
- Be on Time: “If running late – let them know ASAP” , “Sorry I’m late” , “Apologies, delays with the tube”
- Manners are Important: “Opening the Door” , “Please” , “Thank You” , “I’m sorry to hear that”
- Compliment Your Date: “You look good” , “You look lovely” , “That’s adorable” , “That’s really thoughtful, thank you”
- Let’s Be Honest: “I’m really nervous” , “This is my first date in years” , “I don’t know what to say”
- What Do You Do: “What you up to currently” , “What’s your job like”
- Allergies: “Are you allergic to any types of food” , “Just to let you know I don’t eat seafood”
- Reciprocate: “I know that feeling” , “I completely understand” , “I’m with you”
- Tell Stories: “This one time in band camp” , “I used to go visit my grandma in Scotland every summer” , “We used to play this game as kids”
- Cooking: “I make a mean Sunday Roast” , “I really like baking” , “I burnt bacon once in a microwave”
- My Family: “Chicken nuggets is like my family” , “I have quite a big family” , “I love going away with siblings on holiday”
- Travelling: “I’m going to Thailand next month” , “I love hikes in the winter” , “My friend is getting married in Italy next week”
- Party Tricks: “I can lick my elbows” , “I can solve a Rubik’s cube in 1 minute” , “I can sleep with my eyes open”
- The Future: “I’ll be honest, I am looking to settle down” , “I see myself with a family in the future” , “I want to travel before settling down”
- Maybe Next Time: “Thank you for a wonderful night” , “It’s really nice meeting you” , “Thanks again, not had this much fun in a long time”
Remember, first dates are always difficult, don’t put too much pressure on yourself and just try to relax and have fun!
Do you have anything to add to this blog post? Would love to hear your thoughts!
- 1 – Science Direct (March, 2006): Chat-up lines as male sexual displays
- Featured image: Photo by Corina Rainer on Unsplash